Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 14:55:46 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Questions about Netscape Communicator 4.5

Hi,

        I've got a couple of (relatively minor) problems with Netscape
Communicator 4.5 (native FreeBSD version) that I hope someone can help
me with.

1. If user ppp is running and I open the Netscape mail (messenger)
window either from the browser menu or the tool bar a the bottom of
the window it takes about 60 seconds before the window appears.

During this time the browser window freezes, if the cursor is moved
over the browser it changes to the stop-watch, and if the browser
window is covered by another window and then uncovered the browser is
not repainted.

It doesn't matter whether I'm connected to my ISP or not, ppp just
needs to be started. Communicator 4.05 had the same problem.

2. Is it possible to make Communicator for FreeBSD share mail folders
with the Windows version? Out of necessity my machine triple boots
95/NT4/FreeBSD 2.2.7. I have Communicator 4.5 installed in all 3 OS's.

The 2 Windows versions use the mail folder on the FAT partition (drive
C:).

In FreeBSD I have drive C: mounted on /drvC and if I set the mail
folder in Preferences to use the one on /drvC, and start Communicator
mail it will display the contents of the Inbox, I can scroll the
header list, select and view messages.

If I then changed folders, say to Trash (still on /drvC), it will
display, list etc the contents. However when I change back to Inbox
the message "building summary file for Inbox" appears and gets to
100%, the correct number of messages is displayed in the toolbar, but
the list of headers never appears.

This is a slight improvement on 4.05 which use to hang at this point,
needing a ``kill -9'' to escape.

It would be a great benefit if this would work as it would mean that I
could get e-mail under any OS and have the messages available in the
other 2 as well.

Can anyone help resolve these problems?

TIA

--
  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com