Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 17:49:37 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Anthony Chavez <magus@magus.users.xmission.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD v. Unix

On Saturday,  8 July 2000 at  2:12:31 -0600, Anthony Chavez wrote:
> Fellow advocates:
>
> I don't remember where exactly, but I have seen FreeBSD referred to as
> the "last true Unix."  Is this a wholly accurate description?

No.  I don't think it's even partially accurate for any reasonable
definition of "partially".  Recall that it shares no code with AT&T
UNIX up to and including the Seventh Edition.

> Would it be correct to refer to *BSD in such a manner?

No.  In fact, we don't want to refer to "*BSD" at all: it sounds
divisive.  BSD without the '*' looks a lot better.

As to "the last true UNIX": that way Holy Wars lie.  I've most often
heard it applied to the Seventh Edition.

Greg