Date:      Sat, 09 Apr 2005 23:20:01 +0800
From:      John Mok <jmok@attglobal.net>
To:        Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Firewall + NAT Traversal + IPsec

To my understanding, the mechanism of how NAT works is that, the client
connections from the intranet are mapped to separate ports on the NAT
with one single IP address by means of a mapping table, such that the
reply packet from the outside to the NAT could be reversely mapped to
the respective client connections. If there are more than one VPN
clients being NATed to the VPN gateway, and all client isakmp
connections to port 500 are mapped to port 500 on the external interface
of the NAT, then how the NAT could reversely mapped the isakmp replies
to the clients unambigously?

John Mok