Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 18:19:50 -0500
From:      Stormy Henderson <stormy@futuresouth.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: UFS

A happy camper (Jonathan Chen, jonc@pinnacle.co.nz) once wrote...
> On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Mike Knoll wrote:
>> Are there any partition resizers out there for UFS?
>
> UFS is *WAY-DIFFERENT* from MS-type file-systems. You're welcome to
> try, but interest is low.

On the contrary, interest is high...but among the newer users, not the
developers.  The developers already have systems setup and configured
perfectly; they have no need for resizing partitions because they already
know what sizes they need for what they do.  Us less experienced users,
however, have no clue.  We either take the defaults or strike out on our
own, and with disappointing regularity, neither path quite fits our needs.
So the users are correct to ask for a tool to help ease the transition to
FreeBSD.

Of course, the developers know how hard it would be to code something like
this, while the users can but think, "MSDOS has partition resizers, even
in shareware, surely FreeBSD can compete here too." We have no concept of
the differences between the filesystems, nor the inherent difficulty that
this project may present, given the vastly more complicated FS.  So the
developers are correct to maintain that such a tool is unfeasible, given
the challenge it presents, their time restraints, and the other priorities
that beset them.

But don't say interest is low.  (c:

Be happy...
--