Date:      13 Jul 1999 08:31:30 +0900
From:      sada@rr.IIJ4U.OR.JP (SADA Kenji)
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        star@iwl.net, sada@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netscape 4.6.1. ports

>> Hello Sada,

Hi, star :)
From next time, please send such questions to ports-ML.
Here we write one article and could help many.

>>    I'm trying to install the Netscape Navigator 4.6.1 port on a FreeBSD 2.2.8
>>     system.
>>
>>    The port lists you as maintainer.
>>
>>    I don't really need Communicator, but I loaded it since the
>>     Makefile for Navigator includes the Makefile for Communicator 4.6.1.

In that case you should exptract www/netscape{4-communicator,
46-{communicator,navigator}} .

>>     Incidentally, the Communicator 4.6.1 makefile has a date of 1997
>>      and "thepish" as maintainer, although it does indicate version "4.6+".

You must misfiled the ports skeleton. Latest Makefile has a tag:

  # $Id: Makefile,v 1.44 1999/07/01 23:36:29 sada Exp $

FYI: `Date created' field shows created date of original skeleton,
	maybe version 4.5.

FYI2: I've sent a mail to thepish about changing maintainer,
	but it was bounced X-(

>>    Anyway, the Communicator 4.6.1 Makefile includes the makefile for
>>     "netscape4-communicator" via a "MASTERDIR" definition.
>>     That makefile looks for communicator 4.0.7 distribution, which is no longer
>>      found on the Netscape FTP site as listed in the Makefile.

It's also obsolete. Current version of www/netscape4-communicator is 4.08.

>>    I thought you would want to know that your port wasn't working.
>>    The port for Navigator version 4.5.1 worked fine.

Please note:

 * Netscape navigator 4.61 port is for ports-current now.
   Even 3.2-RELEASE is too old and has no guarantee.
   You could check it at:

 http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/www/netscape46-communicator/Makefile

As a suggestion:

 * Some user runs Navigator 4.61 port on 2.2.8-RELEASE.
   This is completely no guaranteed and you must put it into practice
   by yourself. Probably you have to pkg_add the upgrade kit package
   at least.

>> Thanks for your help,
>>
>> Andy

Thanks for the report :)