Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:59:42 -0800
From:      Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Safe to change the position of "local" in the path?

Greetings again. The default path in FreeBSD 4.7 is:

PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/you/bin

OpenSSL comes as part of FreeBSD in /usr/bin. If you add a newer
version of OpenSSL, it goes into /usr/local/bin, which is later in
the path and therefore not found without explicitly calling it each
time.

Is it safe to change the default path to:

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/you/bin

Is there a generic way to make things in /usr/local/bin take
precedence over things in /usr/bin? For example, I remember that the
Perl 5.8 port comes with a command that you can run that makes the
new Perl take precedence (although I don't remember what it is).
Should I be doing that (whatever it is) to make just OpenSSL take
precedence, instead of changing the search path?

--Paul Hoffman