Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:38:39 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <jim@luna.cdrom.com>
To:        Fred Clift <fred@veriohosting.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache port >:|

On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 at 13:10:52 -0600, Fred Clift wrote:

> > It's true there too.  Nothing is stopping you from editing the
> > Makefile.
> >
> > - jim
>
> True.  I stand corrected.
>
> However, the original question was about why the default place keeps
> moving around.  Any takers on this?

The apache* ports themselves have changed quite a bit recently.
Previously, if you wanted php3, you'd install apache13-php3, which
happily lived in /usr/ports/www with apache13, apache13-ssl,
apache13-modssl, apache13-php4, and so on.  We now have mod_php3 and
mod_php4, which use the apache13 port instead of bringing in another
differently configured (dir/file names, etc.).

The apache13 port used (and uses) /usr/local/www/data and
/usr/local/etc/apache/httpd.conf by default -- the apache13-php3 port
used /usr/local/share/apache/htdocs and apache.conf by default.  With
the emergence of the mod_php{3,4} ports, apache.conf and
/usr/local/share/apache/htdocs are no longer used since those ports now
use the apache13 port.

Is any of this making sense?

- jim

--