Date:      Sat, 4 Jul 1998 21:05:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "A. Karl Heller" <heller@cdnow.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   July 2nd SNAP question.

  I recently upgraded two 9707 snap machines.  Can anyone explain to me
what I did wrong that causes the system to startup with the wrong
hostname?

This code from rc.network displays "Doing initial network setup: hostname"

network_pass1() {
    echo -n 'Doing initial network setup:'
    # Set the host name if it is not already set
    if [ -z "`hostname -s`" ] ; then
            hostname $hostname
            echo -n ' hostname'
    fi

I can't seem to figure out what is causing it to return that when
$hostname IS set.

 Anybody else see this or just me?

Also, who do I talk to about making some changes to the sysinstall program?

For example,  doing an upgrade it is possible to want to re-select
the packages you want to install.  However, you are always forced to the
partition program if you already picked an install package and then exited
out to the main menu to start over.

 Also, during this procedure, as soon as you pick your packages you are
put back to the initial package screen without the package number you selected
highlighted.  I ran in a loop here not knowing when to stop.  I assumed
it would remember my settings, exited the menu, and then the installation
continued.  Just little things here and there.

  One last thing, does anyone have any helpfull tools for those of us who
upgrade?  I might start writing some of my own to merge /etc/upgrade in
to the system, etc..

Karl

PS.

  When do the current ports get upgraded?  I was very surprised to see
the ports on the July 2nd SNAP had the new version of qpopper...this
is automated isn't it?  if not... congrats on a great job.

--
A. Karl Heller - Senior Systems Engineer - heller@cdnow.com