Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 13:14:39 +0000
From:      Neil Levine <levine@clara.net>
To:        Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scalable mail server

On Fri, Mar 13, 1998 at 12:36:40PM +0000, Alan Judge said:

> We're doing exactly this in production.  Four PPro boxes running
> 2.2-STABLE and qmail (as well as Apache for user web access); all the
> data is stored on a NetApp filer, with nothing but OS stuff and the
> qmail mail queues on local disk.  We use Maildir format for storing

Perosnally, I am more interested in ways of making the mail server
scalable by having distributed data. If all the Maildirs are stored
on the one NetApp it is not exactly an infinitly scalable solution. What
would be nice is a simple(!) way of spreading the mailboxes between
multiple machines with say a couple of customer facing machines
handling incoming port 25 and 110 connections. That way you can have
users a-e on one box f-l, on another etc, the customer facing machine
then needs a way of knowing what is where. Using /etc/passwd is a no
go area. SQL based or Radius based user verification is essential
nowdays for large servers.

Neil