Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2006 03:32:47 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Nathan Vidican" <nvidican@wmptl.com>, "Charles Swiger" <cswiger@mac.com>
Cc:        don@lizardhill.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: 3Ware Escalade Issues

Whoah, there chicken little!

The article is in Western Digital's knowledgebase, article# 1397

Here are the relevant bits:

"...If you install and use a desktop edition hard drive connected to a
RAID controller, the drive may not work correctly. This is caused by the
normal error recovery procedure that a desktop edition hard drive
uses...."

"...When an error is found on a desktop edition hard drive, the drive
will enter into a deep recovery cycle to attempt to repair the error,
recover the data from the problematic area, and then reallocate a
dedicated area to replace the problematic area. This process can take up
to 2 minutes depending on the severity of the issue..."

"... Most RAID controllers allow a very short amount of time for a hard
drive to recover from an error. If a hard drive takes too long to
complete this process, the drive will be dropped from the RAID array..."

So let me explain.  If you have a WD ide disk that is NOT in an array,
has a major error, and goes
away and hides for TWO MINUTES this is supposed to BE OK in a desktop?

How many users do you know are going to sit twiddling their thumbs
waiting for 2 minutes for
their computer to unfreeze?  I thought so.

You must have an extremely elastic idea of what an acceptable error
handling is on an IDE drive.
Yes, IDE, you know, Intelligent Drive Electronics?!?  As in, intelligent
enough to know that
if the problem is so severe it's going to take 2 minutes of scrubbing to
fix, that it's a
sign of imminent disk failure and the disk ought to be thrown out anyway?

I think what we have here is a bit of creative justification by WD for
why you should pay more money
for their RAID edition drives.

I'll tell you what.  I will keep an eye on my ATA raid setups that use WD
drives in them.  If one
disk dies for 2 minutes and the array dumps it, I'll RMA the drive back
to WD for a new one.
You by contrast, can keep your failing drives in your array until they
croak permanently.

Ted