Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 11:59:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, jb@cimlogic.com.au, tlambert@primenet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning

> >I don't know if it counts as a very persuasive data point, but a real
> >large port of mine, octave, won't build under egcs (I got an internal
> >compiler error for which I submitted a bug report).  Gcc-2.8.1 compiled
> >and ran it fine
>
> The "e" in egcs does stand for experimental.  The NetBSD developers
> must be confident the bugs will shake out soon since they are planning
> to move to egcs, or they must think the benefits are worth the bugs.

We are also not "controlling" egcs.  This means that we are relatively
passively dependent on a vendor.  It is definitely hit-or-miss whether
or not that we can adopt egcs.  In a few weeks, I'll try to regression
test a couple of egcs releases and/or snapshots.  I am hopeful, but
definitely not confident that one of the releases is stable enough.

I really don't think that we would want to also get into compiler
support issues.  Tool support issues are complex enough.  I can imagine
that egcs (could) be stable enough for our c++ compiler, but am much
less confident of it being our default c compiler.

John