Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2017 19:57:04 -0800
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        Pedro Giffuni <pfg@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SPDX tags in file?

On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 09:17:06PM -0500, Pedro Giffuni wrote:

> > It seems that the application of SPDX license tags
> > has been automated and done without reviewing whether
> > the tag is correct.  For example, the BSD-4-Clause
> > tag has been placed in the files in lib/msun/bsdsrc.
> > Given the UCB letter concerning removal of clauses
> > 3 and 4, these files should probably have had the
> > Copyright updated and a different SPDX clause applied.
> >
> > --
> > Steve
>
> The initial sweep was done manually, but as you might have noticed, it
> covered a lot of files and mistakes are certainly possible.
>
> The idea at this time is/was not to replace licenses: I am not a lawyer
> but I think we may have to look at who has touched a file before doing
> any license change. That may be a complex process.
>
> This said. checking for bsd-4-clause is a pretty good opportunity to
> review and modernize code. If the code comes from another BSD (and
> particularly NetBSD as I noticed during the sweep), it is likely
> upstream has updated the license as well and there may be interesting
> changes involved.

Not all revisions apply to all four files

r1573   rgrimes  BSD 4.4 Lite
r8870   rgrimes  Trailing whitespace
r84210  dillon   Add __FBSDID
r92887  obrien   Fix SCM ID's
r92917  obrien   Remove __P() usage.
r93211  bde      Resurrect Lite1
r97407  keramida Assume __STDC__
r108533 schweikh Typos and whitespace
r129312 stefanf  Remove some kludges (use C99 hexadecimal constant)
r138924 das      Cosmetic changes only
r138925 das      GC unused declaration
r150318 bde      Fixed aliasing bugs in TRUNC()
r152566 bde      Removed an unused declaration and style bugs
r169209 bde      Document current (slightly broken) handling of special values
r169212 bde      Fix tgamma() on some special args
r176449 das      Eliminate some warnings
r226414 das      Fix some non-standard variable declarations.
r325966 pfg      spdx

If you don't count UCB as upstream (aka r1573), then FreeBSD is
upstream.  Looking at NetBSD the commit message for b_tgamma.c
is "Add tgamma{,f} from FreeBSD via  rudolf, netbsd at eq dot cz".
OpenBSD is a little more complicated, but its initial version
appeared in 2008 while FreeBSD's appeard in 1994.

IMHO (non-lawyer) opinion, the only thing that might rise to the
level of Copyright-able material would be r169212.  Bruce did not
add his name as he has done elsewhere.

BTW, OpenBSD uses a 3-clause BSD license.

--
Steve