Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 12:17:45 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Jason Nordwick <nordwick@xcf.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A few ports/pkg_* questions.

Jason Nordwick wrote:

> After using FreeBSD for a while and loving the ports collections, I had a
> few questions why things are done the way they are:
>
> 1) Why is /usr/ports so flat?  It is basically
> /usr/ports/<category>/<program>.  This was fine when the number was low, but
> now after a few thousand, this is getting kinda hard to lookat.  Instead of
> having all /usr/ports/x11-{,clocks,fm,fonts,toolkits,wm} why is it not
> /usr/ports/x11/{,clocks,fm,fonts,toolkits,wm} ?   It is just to make the
> Makefiles simplier?

	As I recall there is a reason for this, but I don't recall what it is.
You might want to check the archives.

> 2) Why not links? (maybe there are and I just dont see them, this is a
> strong possibility).  It seems that port can be in more than one category.

	I've long thought this would be a good idea. I don't know why it hasn't
been done, but it makes sense to me for example to put all of the x11
stuff in its own hierarchy and then symlink the games to ports/games,
etc.

> 3) Has anybody ever thought of installing a port in is own directory and
> then linking them into the proper place?

	I don't know what this means.

> 4) more complete (dare I say it... robu..., ack) package tool.  For
> operation like determining what file belongs to what, and some other common
> tasks I hear people talk about.

	Don't know what this means either... seems to me that the packages do a
pretty good job of maintaining good packing lists, but I might be
misunderstanding.

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

    Go PADRES!