Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 15:38:47 +0900
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pc card removal lockup

Hi,

> I have a wheezing old Dell Latitude LM that I just upgraded to the
> JAN24 current snapshot.  Whenever I remove my 3com 3c589d PCMCIA nic,
> the machine locks solid while emitting a very loud (continuous) beep.
> When I suspend the machine & awaken it, everything works just dandy.
> ep0 is initially not in the interfaces list (ifconfig -a), then the
> card is recognized.
>
> I suspect (and only suspect) that the problem might be that the system
> is missing an interrupt & does not know that the nic has been removed.
> I tried running in polling mode (eg, I didn't give pcic0 an irq in the
> config file).  When I remove a card in this configuration, the machine
> locks solid (and doesn't beep).

I thought that my latest commit on pccardd break something firstly,
but no, the system will hang up using even old revision of pccardd.
# Just my 1 Yen :)

I successfully reproduce your problem here by changing BIOS setting.
# My laptop is PORTEGE 3110CT.
My PCIC is using irq 4 sharing COM1's irq, and disabling COM1 (irq 4)
on BIOS setting, my machine also locks solid on removal.
Enabling COM1 on BIOS setting again, there is no problems on
insertion/removal.  It seems that there is a problem around sharing
irq code, but I have no idea to fix for now...

> pcic: management irq 3
> pcic0: <Cirrus Logic PD672X> at port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000 irq 3 on isa0
> pccard0: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
> pccard1: <PC Card bus -- kludge version> on pcic0
> pcic1: not probed (disabled)
> sio0: irq maps: 0x41 0x51 0x41 0x41
> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
> sio0: type 16550A
> sio1: not probed (disabled)

Please try again enabling COM2 on BIOS setting if you disable it.