Date:      Fri, 25 Sep 1998 14:04:05 -0400
From:      Graeme Tait <graeme@echidna.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS hardware needs under 2.2.7

David Greenman wrote:

> >We are migrating all our Internet-related servers from Solaris to
> >FreeBSD. I've already moved the news and web servers, and DNS is next.
> >Here's my question: does DNS require a separate machine, or are its
> >resource requirements rather small? The web server runs on a Pentium 2
> >266/128M/4G IDE. Should I run BIND on that or build its own server? Any
> >input much appreciated as always.
>
>    BIND doesn't seem to consume a whole lot of CPU, but it does consume a lot
> of memory - typically 30-40MB on a busy server. That may be reason enough to
> have it on a seperate machine. We have both Apache and DNS on the same
> server at WC CDROM, but we have lots of memory in the machine (512MB) and
> the machine has CPU to burn (333MHz Pentium-II and only 1/2 million hits/day).

Why is so much memory consumed (I'm assuming that the server is
authoritative for relatively few domains)?

I would have thought that compared with serving a web page (which
generally means multiple packets per document, multiple connections for
embedded images, etc., writing log data), a DNS lookup was normally
pretty simple if the server is authoritative for the domain. Also, since
the DNS data should be cached elsewhere after the first request, and
most likely the user will follow a link or two, you would think the WWW
server load would thoroughly dominate.

--

Graeme Tait - Echidna