Date:      17 Jul 2002 15:03:54 -0500
From:      "Douglas C. Garrick" <dgarrick@sweetwaterhsa.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppoe and routing

Hi.

I ran into a snag here lately and because I am in over my head I thought
I'd better ask the pros.

I have been running my (home) network for about a year now using a 4.1
machine as a gateway with a combination of ipfw and nat.  The public
side was a 3com xl card to the ISPs cable modem and the private side was
a 3c509 to a hub.  This worked quite well up till last month when the
ISP changed protocols to PPPoE.

I upgraded the gateway machine to 4.5 ( I couldn't get 4.6.to install
due to write protection error when uncompressing to the disk).  I added
IPDIVERTS to the kernel, created a working /etc/ppp/ppp.conf and things
looked good to that point.

I have a working pppoe side and the private side works fine,  I just
can't route between the two interfaces.  I am running routed.

Any guidance would certainly be appreciated.

Doug Garrick