Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:02:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      "David Kelly" <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        <jbronson@wixb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: convert from scsi to IDE

> At 10:58 AM 12/01/2004, David Kelly wrote:
>>With the FreeBSD boot manager on the IDE drive you can painlessly
>> reboot to either your new IDE or old SCSI installation. At most
>> /etc/fstab needs touchup on each.
>
> Thanks for the tips. I have a full fresh 5.3 install with all my tweaks
> and  personality installed on the scsi. I am dumping to tape tonight.
> What I might do is toss 2 IDE drives in there...do an install (mini) on
> the  1...get it up and running and then run /stand/sysinstall on the 2nd
> drive  and set it up, format it and then mount it. Then I can restore
> from tape  onto the 2nd drive too.

OK, but I think you are missing something in what I wrote. Once your tape
backup is finished shutdown and install the IDE drives. Let it continue to
boot your SCSI, which I presume also has the FreeBSD boot blocks
installed. Use sysinstall on your current system to partition, format, and
write boot blocks on the IDE drive(s). Mount the IDE drive(s) somewhere.
Then you can use dump(8) piped into restore(8) directly from HD to HD.

Once you think everything is on the IDE drive you can reboot and use F5
when the SCSI disk "boots" to transfer the boot to the next drive in the
BIOS chain. In this way the IDE drive should be able to "boot" off the
SCSI drive. And once you have done this it will automatically do it again
the next time. Only thing different is an extra 10 seconds or so waiting
on the boot blocks on the SCSI drive to time out an "boot" the IDE drive
where those boot blocks take another 10 seconds before transfering to
either the next disk or to the selected OS.

Once everything is working you can remove the SCSI drive but by chaining
the boot process off the SCSI drive you don't have to remove it until you
are good and ready.