Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 2003 13:37:53 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some 5.0 oddities

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:
> On 2003-01-18 13:12, Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au> wrote:
> > 4/ You can't interrupt the BTX loader anymore. Used to be able to
> > get the ':' prompt before the kernel loaded.
> I regularly interrupt my loader at any stage.
> Can you elaborate a bit on this one?

boot2 no longer accepts keyboard input.  I'm not sure exactly when
this happened, but it was some time late last year.  I have -Dh in
/boot.config, but sometimes I want to use the vga console instead of
the serial console.  It used to be possible to interrupt boot2 before
it loaded /boot/loader, and type '-h' to switch back to the vga
console.  This doesn't work any more.

Now that I think about it, this is actually a pretty serious bug,
because if for some reason you happen to install a corrupted or broken
loader, you can no longer recover by interrupting boot2 and asking it
to load /boot/loader.old instead, nor can you tell it to boot from a
backup root partition if the regular one gets corrupted.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org