Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 11:33:23 +0200
From:      Alwyn Schoeman <alwyns@littlecruncher.prizm.dhs.org>
To:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Not enough information

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 01:39:29AM +0000, Salvo Bartolotta wrote:
> 1) kernel compilation: freebsd vs. linux
> 2) kernel, userland and ports organization in FreeBSD as opposed to
> the fragmented, incoherent organization in Linux;
> 3) FreeBSD stability;
> 4) (flame bait ;-) FreeBSD is a high-quality OS, designed by some of
> the brightest Computer Scientists in the world. BTW, you should read a
> little Unix history. Ex nihilo nihil fit :-)
>
> N.B. strictly speaking, Linux is NOT Unix.

Personaly:
1) Linux kernel configuration is better than freebsd, especially if you
don't come from BSD background.  Why should an ethernet card have different
names? ep0, ed0???
2) I'm impressed with the way ports work, being used to RPM's I quickly noticed
some shortcomings. If RPM is used correctly, ports are no match.
Recently FreeBSD's not so great filesystem got corrupted. Guess what got damaged? Package information, so now I can't get any information on installed packages.UPgrading ports, I mean installed ports? Probably the only point its got going
for it against RPM is that its easier to stay up to date.
Kernel and userland I would about rate the same.
3) Both are so stable you can't tell the difference.
4) Ditto for both.
5) Security. Both FreeBSD and Linux installs with tight security lately, check
out the latest Mandrake (beta), if you're not careful you end up with a dumb and deaf box. Tight security in above is meant as with minimal services, etc.

Is a 2 wheel vehicle with a door and round steering tool, a bicycle or a car?

Just my R 0.02, which would relate too $0, or 0 euro.