Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 02:10:33 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        mho <mtl@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Misleading statements in src/UPDATING

mho wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had an argument with someone on irc about the status of the
> UPDATING file and in which case the new update procedure (make
> buildkernel instead of config) would apply.

The rules, as have been stated many times on -stable starting in the
archives for 7/7, point out that the buildkernel applies if you cvsup.
A config sequence may work but don't send in a PR if it doesn't. You
probably won't find any sympathy either :).

The binutil problem wasn't a problem if you did a buildworld, a
buildkernel and an installkernel and then did your installworld in
single user-mode. I was one of the first people bit by the buildkernel
problem and haven't had a problem since I switched. I won't do an
installworld before I have compiled my kernel and the method of
building a kernel isn't optional in that case. The kernel has to be
built with the new tools from /usr/obj/... and that is how they
explained the buildkernel does it thing. There are lots of fine points
that you can argue about but only one way seems to consistently work.

Kent

> I always though that the information in UPDATING was authoritative on
> the update procedure, but there are two statements in the file that
> are misleading and make it sound like it doesn't apply to -STABLE
> (maybe I'm wrong and indeed it does not apply but I really don't
> think so):
>
> 1. The very first line of the UPDATING file (1.73.2.8) says:
> "Updating Information for FreeBSD current users"
>
> The word "current" suggest that it is only valid when tracking
> -CURRENT. Which I don't think is the case so it really should be
> changed to say (or am I wrong?):
>
> "Updating Information for FreeBSD -STABLE users"
>
> 2. Just **before** all the information in the COMMON ITEMS section
> (on how to build a kernel, make world, update /dev etc) is the
> statement:
>
> 20000315:
>          FreeBSD 4.0 RELEASE.  The rest of this file is historical
>          and will be removed in the future.
>
> Which basically renders all the information after that on how to make
> kernel and everything else irrelevant. So it should really be removed
> or rearranged so that it is clearly stated as the Correct and Current
> Way to do Things (or I am completely wrong?).
>
> I would really appreciate if someone could enlighten me on this, and
> tell me exactly whether the UPDATING file is relevant to -STABLE, and
> whether the COMMON ITEMS section is actual up to date information on
> how to upgrade or only old historical information.
>
> Also is the precedure in how "To build a kernel" (more precisely,
> using make buildkernel) applicable only when upgrading from 3.x to
> 4.0? or for any upgrade within 4.0-STABLE? (did the problem with
> binutils only affected people coming from 3.0 or also from
> 4.0-RELEASE?)
>
> Thanks in advance for any information or correction.
>
> mho

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg