Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:09:30 -0600
From:      Daniel Schrock <dschrock@speakeasy.net>
To:        Adam Lofstedt <adaml@visimation.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with my startup script?

Adam Lofstedt wrote:
> Hello wise ones,
>
> I am trying to mount a windows share at boot with mount_smbfs.  Since I
> have to use the noauto option in fstab (filesystems in fstab are mounted
> before the network is initialized),

i have not used smbfs, but nfs filesystems mount just fine from
/etc/fstab at boot... I would think that as long as the kernel can
identify smbfs, you shouldn't have an issue...
but like i said, i haven't tried it.

I have created a startup script
> (smbfsstartup.sh) and placed it in /usr/local/etc/rc.d:
>
> case "$1" in
>     start)
>         /sbin/mount /myshare
> 	;;
>     stop)
> 	#Maybe do something here...
> 	;;
>     *)
>     ;;
> esac
>
> This exact same script worked just fine on another machine.  When I
> moved it to a different machine I get this message when my system boots
> up:
>
> Local Package Initialization : (skipping smbfsstartup.sh, not
> executable).

chmod 700 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/smbfsstartup.sh
problem solved... or use 755 if others can start/stop it

> I have modified my nsmb.conf files appropriately in both /etc and
> /usr/local/etc.  Using "mount" at the command prompt works just fine.  I
> am not sure why my startup script is not working on this machine, the
> syntax looks fine to me.
>
> As a clue, when I mount from the command line, I get the following
> message:
>
> netsmb_dev: loaded
>
> Is this some kernel module that isn't getting loaded at boot time, and
> causing the script to fail?  Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Adam Lofstedt

.daniel.schrock