Date:      Mon, 31 May 2010 11:57:16 +0700
From:      "Anh Ky Huynh" <xkyanh@gmail.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Aiza <aiza21@comclark.com>, FreeBSD question <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Is this information obtainable?

On Mon, 31 May 2010 01:31:34 -0300 (ADT)
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 31 May 2010, Anh Ky Huynh wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 31 May 2010 11:41:16 +0800
> > Aiza <aiza21@comclark.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I trying to estimate the number of Freebsd computers.
> >> To gauge a rough range size.
> >
> > This may help: http://www.bsdstats.org/ :)
>
> BSDstats has a very long way to go before the numbers start to look
> rasonable ... for PCBSD, the #s are pretty reasonable, because they
> set it up so that its auto-enabled when  you intall ... for
> FreeBSD, the numbers aren't even close, since ppl have to manually
> install it ...

I think so:) I shouldn't use bsdstat on my servers, but I'm eager to use it on my desktops

> the numbers are growing ... since the start of May, I've seen the
> numbers jump by almost 2k new computers, so it is growing ... but
> ppl have to consciously install the software ...

I remember the days when I was using Linux with http://counter.li.org/ (my ID is 392115). Anonymousness is good but I think that I'll be proud of having a counter for my (Free)BSD box :) Why don't bsdstat support registration?

Just my two cents...

Regards,

--
Anh Ky Huynh