Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 22:38:45 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with SCSI drive, need to map out bad blocks

On Tue, Dec 21, 1999 at 02:14:53PM -0700, Thus Spake Brent Rector:
> Hi Everyone,

> Well this one has me stymied!

> I am running BSD 3.1 using an Adaptec 1542CF Card and a Seagate
> Narrow SCSI drive.

> Can I map out bad blocks without downing the system?

> My log file shows read errors and corrections as follows:

> Dec 21 12:44:26 shell /kernel: (da0:ah0:0:0:0) Recovered data with
> negative head offset sks:80,3

SCSI drive typically don't need any bad track mapping.  However to
run utilities that mark blocks as bad you will have to be almost at
the controller level.  Also - depending on the drive you have,
automatic reallocation on reads, or writes, or both, may be turned
on.  It will give you errors such as above for informational use
only, and after re-mapping presents itself to the OS as a perfect
device as far as blocks are concerned.

I had an older ESDI drive with this in it, and I'd accumulate a few
bad blocks every one or two months.  Got a lot one day when the
system go bumped.  It continued on, adding bad blocks for over FIVE
YEARS - before the controller failed.  The drive ran 365x24x7 for
Seven years and two months.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion   bv @ wjv.com