Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 11:45:50 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        cmott@srv.net (Charles Mott)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bus Errors

> What does "Bus error" mean?

"The memory bus reference was out of allowable address space"

In general, since page 0 is not mapped, it will typically mean that
you have dereferenced a null pointer.  Probably by relying on the
historical behaviour of strcat/strcpy/etc..

In all cases, it's a pointer error of one kind or another, though
it could just as easily result from stack or array bounds based
corruption of a pointer value, as it could from some error with
the pointer usage itself.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---