Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:31:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   TARGET_BIG_ENDIAN branch collapse

I'm planning on doing a branch collapse of the TARGET_BIG_ENDIAN
stuff.  You can find a diff at
http://people.freebsd.org/~imp/tbemd-20100415.diff.

Highlights include:
o Eliminating TARGET_BIG_ENDIAN entirely
o Eliminating the setting of endian flags in sys.mk and bsd.cpu.mk
o Moving from mips to mipseb and mipsel for MACHINE_ARCH. [*]
o Moving from arm to armeb and arm for MACHINE_ARCH. [**]
o Creating MACHINE_CPUARCH which is the set of architectures that's
  supported.  The 'mips' CPUARCH will support MACHINE_ARCH of mipsel,
  mipseb, mips64eb, mips64el, for example.  This means many of the
  places we used to use MACHINE_ARCH we now use MACHINE_CPUARCH.
o Moving to including Makefile.${MACHNE}, Makefile.${MACHINE_ARCH}, or
  Makefile.{MACHINE_CPUARCH}, in that order, to select or deselect
  portions of FreeBSD.  We already did this for places like libc.  I'm
  just generalizing it.
o Some minor tweaks to gcc and binutils to make the build work with
  the new paradigm.

Please send me your comments and suggestions.  I plan on starting to
integrate some of these technologies into head soon (as well as
coordinating with Juli Mallett's work to bring new ABIs to MIPS).

This is all orthogonal to MACHINE_CPUTYPE and MACHINE_CPU[***] which will
remain unchanged in FreeBSD.

Comments?

Warner

[*] While I generally don't want to talk about names here, since I've
selected the names used by NetBSD, Linux and binutils/gcc, there may
be some tweaking in the final values as these groups have minor
variations in naming mips which complicates things...

[**] These names are well established and consistent among all the
groups.

[***] NetBSD calls MACHINE_CPUARCH just MACHINE_CPU, but since we're
already using that for something else, I had to diverge.