Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 2003 16:40:18 -0400
From:      "Lei Luo" <lluo@eecis.udel.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Newbie need help on configuring mouse and X windows

Hi, everyone,

I am new to FreeBSD and just trying to learning something. I installed Free=
BSD without X system on my computer and it works fine. But when I tried to =
configure mouse and X windows, I had big problem.

As instructed in the handbook, I configured the type and port of the mouse =
(PS2, so I used the default). But after I enabled it, I would be in one of =
two situations.=20

In the first situation, the background of the screen turns to blue and I ca=
nnot see if the mouse cursor moving. I could not see the dialog any more. S=
ometimes, if I just pressed enter, I could go back the previous screen, but=
 having a blue background now. More commonly, the system was just stuck the=
re and the keyboard was locked. At this time, I had to turn off the power t=
o shutdown the computer.

In the second situation, the background was OK. But the mouse cursor was tw=
inkling on the screen. In addition, the mouse cursor had a strange shape, n=
ot rectangular, but just like some unprintable character displayed on a DOS=
 screen. Does anyone know what is wrong here and how to fix the problem?

If I skipped this step and tried to configure X windows directly, of course=
, the system warned me that I hadn't configured the mouse and asked me to g=
o back to configure it.

My computer is a Gateway 2000 desktop with 200 Intel Pentium II processor. =
Very old so I used to run Linux on it.

Thank you!

P.S., I didn't see the kernel configuration menu. Is it removed from FreeBS=
D 5.x? Also, when I tried to reboot or shutdown the computer with "reboot" =
or "shutdown" commands, my computer was stuck instead of reboot or shutdown=
. At that time, the power button on the computer could not work. I had to t=
urn off the power switch on the wall. Does anyone have this problem, too?