Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 2004 13:54:33 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
To:        Saber ZRELLI <zrelli@jaist.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: suggestions ?

Hi,

Saber ZRELLI wrote:

> Erich Dollansky wrote:
>
> if my browser is connected to google and yahoo , then i need to
> distinguish what data is coming from whish server , so it can be treated
> correctly ...

It will not work for google or yahoo how they work currently.

> I think i'm missing something ...

Yes.

As simple example is a government site handling some government task
like duty collection or purchase orders for the whole country.

There is one system which does it all for the government. The impact of
a system like this going down will be massive. But we learned since the
WTC attack that it can happen.

The solution is currently to have fault-tolerant machines on single
sites with a very low chance to fail plus some spare sites to take over
if the main site really fails. The switch over takes some time and will
make the government lose money as the whole country cannot process the
data during this period of time.

If the clients are now linked via an additional layer in the TCP/IP
stack to all sites and it is made sure that all sites are updated
concurrently, it will not matter if a site goes down because the other
sites will take over automatically

On the other side, after having a system like this, there is no need
anymore for fault-tolerant hardware on the individual sites as the
switch-over to the other sites is done automatically from outside. As a
result the cost of such systems will drop.

I know that such systems exist but they are tailor made and they are not
off-the-shelve solution integrated somewhere into the operating system.

Erich