Date:      Wed, 19 Sep 2001 10:55:48 +0100
From:      Mark Blackman <mark.blackman@netscalibur.co.uk>
To:        Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X on Compaq "EX" with I810E Intel video chip on 4.3 FreeBSD.

I think this is a DDC problem. I quote from RELNOTES in X 4.1.0
Try the "NoDDC" option in your config file.

4.8  DDC

The VESA(R) Display Data Channel (DDC[tm]) standard allows the monitor to
tell the video card (or on some cases the computer directly) about itself;
particularly the supported screen resolutions and refresh rates.

Partial or complete DDC support is available in most of the video drivers.
DDC is enabled by default, but can be disabled with a "Device" section entry:
Option "NoDDC".  We have support for DDC versions 1 and 2; these can be dis-
abled independently with Option "NoDDC1" and Option "NoDDC2".

At startup the server prints out DDC information from the display, but it
does not yet use it the determine modelines.  For some drivers, the X
server's new -configure option uses the DDC information when generating the
config file.

Changed behavior caused by DDC. Several drivers uses DDC information to set
the screen size and pitch.  This can be overridden by explicitly resetting it
to the and non-DDC default value 75 with the -dpi 75 command line option for
the X server, or by specifying appropriate screen dimensions with the "Dis-
playSize" keyword in the "Monitor" section of the config file.