Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:41:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Paul Hart <hart@iserver.com>
To:        TrouBle <trouble@netquick.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure filesystem wiping

and later on Thu, 18 Nov 1999, TrouBle wrote:

> will you all take a look at this, this is what i am looking for!!
>
> Wipe is a secure file wiping utility.
>
> Wipe uses /dev/urandom, or if unavailable, /dev/random, as a source
> for entropy.

So which is it?  In one message, you're asking for a program that wipes
all the free space on a drive and claim that wipe does this on Linux and
that obliterate on FreeBSD just wipes files.  Then, in the next message,
you claim that wipe on Linux is a "secure file wiping utility" and that
somehow the FreeBSD suggestions you've been given are inadequate.  Huh?

We've seen means posted of overwriting a single file or remaining disk
space (by filling all free space with a dummy file containing garbage)
with both /dev/zero and /dev/urandom, so doesn't that answer your
question?

Paul Hart

--
Paul Robert Hart        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        Verio Web Hosting, Inc.
hart@iserver.com        ><8>  ><8>  ><8>        http://www.iserver.com/