Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 13:21:09 -0700
From:      Ronald Joe Record <rr@sco.COM>
To:        Dion Johnson <dionj@sco.COM>
Cc:        dev-86open@dgii.com, ray@sco.COM, "That Hoppie Kirk guy..." <hops@sco.COM>, "J. Kean Jonston" <jkj@sco.COM>, doug@sco.COM, jimw@sco.COM
Subject:   Re: Bulletin on status of 86open at SCO

Spec150 Fans,

Although the lxrun project is a different beast than what we'd
agreed to for the 86open project, there are some similarities.
Our experience in developing a Linux emulator which works at
the system call level may be a good starting point for those
interested in continuing to pursue the 86open goals.

Specifically, the set of system calls that lxrun supports might
provide some insight into what an 86open specification would
look like. You can review the list of currently supported system
call interfaces at:

    http://www.sco.com/skunkware/emulators/SyscallTable.html

I am not familiar with the internals of Linux emulation on
other Intel Unix platforms, but the intersection of all the
supported system call sets from these various emulators could
be viewed as Spec 150 or whatever we wish to call it.

Finally, we are planning to implement a "pre-loading" of the
system call mapping in lxrun. This may be accomplished by
creating an additional shared library which contains the
system call mapping functions of lxrun. This shared library
in combination with the lxrun program interpreter effectively
accomplishes (for SCO platforms) the (modified) goals of 86open.

I would be happy to continue this discussion and will be
presenting a talk on "Linux Emulation for SCO" at this summer's
USENIX technical conference in New Orleans. Please feel free
to contact me if you will be attending and wish to participate
in a discussion on this topic. For a technical intro to lxrun
(an open source project) see:

    http://www.sco.com/skunkware/emulators/lxrun/html/

I look forward to seeing any of you who choose to come to Santa
Cruz during SCO Forum this August,

Ron Record
rr@sco.com

re: