Date:      05 Aug 2002 01:16:01 -0700
From:      Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
To:        Ed Yu <edlyu@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Alp ATICI <atici@cpw.math.columbia.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About 5.0 and Nvidia drivers

On Sun, 2002-08-04 at 22:55, Ed Yu wrote:
> > Do they indeed release the whole information? Then
> > why don't we
> > have full  support?
>
> Here is what I got from ATI website:
> ATI does not currently develop or distribute LINUX or
> XFree86 drivers.
>
> However, our Developer Relations team actively
> supports 3rd  party LINUX/XFree86 developers by
> supplying technical information and software
> development kits.
>
> I believe the ATI driver is open-sourced so it is
> relatively easy to port to FreeBSD which someone has
> already done.
>
> Well, full support will take time since they are
> developed by someone. I subscribe to DRI mailing list
> and there seems to be alot of work going on for Radeon
>  cards.

I'm not sure which ATI driver is in question here.  The radeon 1 DRI
(3d) driver has been supported for quite a while now, and works quite
well if you exclude the lack of TCL (Transform & Lighting).  TCL is
supported in DRI CVS's HEAD (dri.sf.net).  There is a branch in DRI CVS
for development of R200 (Radeon 8500) support, which apparently works
pretty well for a lot of people, though r200 tcl isn't supported yet and
there are some graphics issues to be worked out from what I understand.
Both of these CVS branches support FreeBSD as well as Linux.

The DRM code (the os-dependent,  in-kernel part of the DRI) is now using
sets of preprocessor macros to support linux and FreeBSD from the same
codebase.  Bringing the new radeon code for r200 over to the new macros
took all of 15 minutes on my end.  A FreeBSD + 8500 user fixed up the
code after Keith Whitwell applied the patches, and we now have 8500
support on par with linux.  New development in r200 is now staying
FreeBSD-compatible by using these macros for DRM changes (and
development is moving pretty quickly).

The r200 code mentioned above is the open-source stuff funded by TWC,
not ATI's binary firegl drivers.  This also does not apply to ATI's
unreleased chipsets that people are drooling over.

As far as Linux games (what most people seem to be concerned with for
some reason :) the support for them in FreeBSD right now is currently
poor.  It worked pretty well in 4.1.0, but a change to the client
libraries in 4.2.0 broke the linux compatibility.  I have a patch to
XFree86 that fixes the linux binaries produced. From that I made
binaries and a patch to linux_dri-4.2.0 which should get the non-3dfx
cards from 4.2.0 (radeon 1, Matrox Gx00 AGP, r128 AGP) working again for
linux compatibility.  However, the 3dfx cards are still broken, which is
why I haven't committed it.  I need to figure out how to fix the port in
a clean way so that existing linux_base users (linux_base's libglide3.so
is part of the problem) can still use it.  See the site in the .sig for
a link to the linux_dri-4.2.0 patch.

--
Eric Anholt <eta@lclark.edu>
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/dri/