Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 04:53:02 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RE: Why are people against GNU? WAS Re: 5.0 already?

> > It was stated that you, the author, didn't have a choice, and could
> > not use the GPL (without modifying it) and avoid allowing your users to
> > choose a later version.
> >
> > That statement was not true.
>
> If RMS publically states that he will grant permission for people to apply
> the GPL with statements before or after it that modify its terms, I will
> withdraw that complaint. If not, I stand by it.
>
> As I understand it, the GPL is a piece of property that is owned. You may
> not use it any way other than the way the author permits you to.
>
> 	If Stallman grants permission solely for that particular type of
> modification, then my allegation will become false, but will have been true
> when it was made.

There's no modification involved.  The GPL version 2 is a specific
document.  It allows you to apply it to your software.  It does not
require anywhere that you should always permit replacing that license
by a later version.  It does, however, make clear what the situation
is if the program specifies that this version "or any later version"
applies to it; but this is a possibility based on what the programmer
chooses to do, not a necessity.

You can take the GPL, bundle it with your code, and say "this
program may be distributed under version 2 of the GPL, and under no
other license and no other version of the GPL."  Nothing in the GPL
stops you from doing that.

R.