Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:10:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/35575: Pw(8) man page makes no mention of /var/log/userlog

The following reply was made to PR docs/35575; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>
To: Dima Dorfman <dima@trit.org>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 19:08:23 -0800

 On Wed, Mar 27, 2002 at 02:10:11AM +0000, Dima Dorfman wrote:
 > This functionality is described in pw.conf(5).  Many of pw(8)'s
 > features are only described there (and not in pw(8)), and I don't see
 > why this should be an exception.  Perhaps the existence of pw.conf(5)
 > should be made more obvious somehow.

 Well, in pw(8) there is a list of 9 files that pw uses to go about its
 business.  Even temporary files are documented.  One would expect if so
 many files are listed, but no log file is mentioned, that there is no
 log file.

 Pw.conf(5) on the other hand, lists four files, with no descriptions,
 and does not mention the log in the files section.

 Also, at least as of 4.5-RELEASE, the default log file is not mentioned
 in pw.conf(5) either.  The logfile config is mentioned, but no default
 value is specified.  The logical conclusion being that if you want pw to
 log anything, you need to explicitly spell it out, although it has
 already been logging to the unobviously-named /var/log/userlog all
 along!

 -danny