Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2007 13:45:17 -0800
From:      jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
To:        "Christian Walther" <cptsalek@gmail.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: relay host in sendmail?

On Dec 8, 2007, at 12:21 PM, Christian Walther wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 08/12/2007, jekillen <jekillen@prodigy.net> wrote:
>> Hello:
>> I am using Absolute BSD, Second Ed.
>> and am looking in the section on Sendmail.
>> I cannot find where to specify a relay host.
>> I have a hosts that originate mail to remote
>> recipients but use a mail hub (Postfix) on
>> another machine on local network to
>> relay this mail to the outside. It is not spam.
>> These messages will be used to verify web
>> client supplied e-mail addresses.
>> Thank you in advance;
>> Jeff K
>>

> you can specify a smart host in sendmail.mc (or the mc-file created
> for your host). The macro you need is already in there, you just need
> to uncomment it. It's something like:
>
> dnl Dialup users should uncomment and define this appropriately
> define(`SMART_HOST', `your.relay.host')

This looks like it is for dial up modem connection to an isp's mail
servers.
But I do not see why it would not work for a relay host on the local
network.
I have static ip addresses on DSL service. I will have to refresh my
memory
on what is a smart host. This relay host would also relay the response
to an
email verification message back to the originating host. And I am
guessing
that would be a virtual domain alias in the relay host. I am learning
as I go
along.
Thank you for your help. Much appreciated
Jeff K