Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 15:40:19 +0000
From:      philip@state51.co.uk (Philip Crewdson)
To:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   UK 2.1.5 Mirror CORRUPT?

I've just spent the weekend running around in circles trying to install
FreeBSD 2.1.5 from the UK mirror at Imperial College (Sunsite N. Europe).

I tried installing via FTP, NFS and from a DOS partition, with exactly the
same result each time: "Write failure on transfer" at some point in most of
the directories.

As a last resort, I tried FTP-ing from FreeBSD.org itself - perfect
installation first time, and twice the speed I was getting from Imperial
down the road.

SO.....

I have to ask, has anyone successfully installed from the UK mirror
recently? i.e. since August??

If I'm right, does anyone know who's responsible for that mirror site?

AND, BTW

How about a FAQ for this "Write failure on transfer" message? Looking back
through the lists and groups, it seems to be a very common problem,
especially since the message seems to cover a wide range of errors, e.g.
bad geometry, corrupt data, memory cache problems et al. I think if there
was more testimony on record on how people had solved the problem,
installation could be made a lot easier.

Philip

Philip Crewdson

philip@state51.co.uk

a member of the state51 conspiracy