Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 22:06:44 +0300
From:      Nimrod Mesika <nimrodm@bezeqint.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Xfree86 and the G400

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 12:38:40PM -0400, Caleb Land wrote:
> Hello,
> 	Scratch my previouse e-mail... it does appear that the driver is
> open source (I overlooked the .tar.gz file), but since I don't
> have one of those cards, I can't try it out.

It is *not* open-source. If you look more carefully you'll see some
of the code is in a binary-only library which gets linked to some
source code provided.

This is the same road nVidia has taken with their new drivers. A
single binary library which holds their `secrets' and some minimal
source code to let you compile/link it with your specified kernel
(otherwise modules are generally not portable across different
versions of the OS).

Probably good for public-relations too ;)

--
Nimrod.
http://www.geocities.com/rodd_27