Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2007 10:16:51 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of /etc/skel, your opinions please

Quoting Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org> (from Fri, 30 Nov 2007 =20
08:25:30 +0100 (CET)):

> On Thu, November 29, 2007 10:47 am, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>> Quoting Remko Lodder <remko@FreeBSD.org> (from Wed, 28 Nov 2007
>> 22:21:06 +0100):
>>

>>> Dear arch@ members,
>>>
>>> I would like to remove /etc/skel from the BSD.root.dist mtree file
>>> since it is no longer being used and I would like to remove unused
>>> items.

>> Not an objection, just something to think about: Do we want to
>> deprecate the use of "adduser -k /etc/skel"? I know you said you just
>> want to remove the directory, and every admin is allowed to create it
>> again, but by removing the directory from the mtree file, we give a
>> signal into the direction of deprecation.

> You do have a point there actually :-), what we can do in the install
> phase (initially "make distribution", later on when the system is already
> installed, manage this through "mergemaster") is install all files from
> /usr/share/skel to /etc/skel and actually use it.
>
> If we dont want to do that, why should we keep on carrying the directory
> then?

I have a local patch to adduser which adds /usr/local/share/skel (so 2 =20
directories are used by default). Now I think it may be better to =20
change this to  use /etc/skel instead, and to do it in a way that =20
/etc/skel overrides /usr/share/skel. Looks more usable to me. What do =20
you think?

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
The most winning woman I ever knew was hanged for poisoning three little
children for their insurance money.
=09=09-- Sherlock Holmes

http://www.Leidinger.net    Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7
http://www.FreeBSD.org       netchild @ FreeBSD.org  : PGP ID =3D 72077137