Date:      Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:15:38 -0500
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anthony's drive issues.Re: ssh password delay

On Mar 22, 2005, at 5:46 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> That is also when I discovered how Microsoft gets away with telling the
> world that they will fix any problem that you call into their
> $250-and-incident
> tech support people.  If you present them with a problem they cannot
> figure out, they will just ask for dump after dump, over and over,
> until you get tired of it and go away.  Then they mark it down to the
> customer not wanting to pursue the ticket and pat themselves on the
> back
> and claim this must mean it was never their fault to begin with.

We had a similar issue with a terminal server crashing periodically.
Dump after dump sent to Dell and MS...each time they were baffled to
the cause.

Turned out a particular application was causing it.  the users would
have their terminal session "lock up", they'd restart their computer,
log into a different server (or the same one, if it was restarted in
time) and then keep going without telling people while we were
scrambling to try diagnosing why the #@$! server restarted.

After the money spent and time wasted, we ended up solving the problem
ourselves and Dell and MS closed the issue.