Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 19:03:18 -0700
From:      gummibear@we.mediaone.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using a cable modem with FreeBSD

At 09:44 PM 9/13/98 -0500, Nathan V. Patwardhan wrote:

>> How would I go by setting up the cable modem with the dhcp client?  What
>> information would I need from the ISP?  Currently I have cable internet
>> service through MeidaOne here in Los Angeles.
>
>See my original material for what to build/install:
>
>> >Definitely!  I'm doing it now -- I've got a static name and dynamic
>> >(or so they say) IP.  You'll probably need to use a dhcp client of
>> >some sort.  I'm currently using the wide-dhcp package, although I'm
>> >likely to switchover to ISC's dhcp-2.0 package when the actual 2.0
>> >release comes out.  In any case, both of these dhcp clients are
>> >available as ports and packages under FreeBSD.
>
>Basically, you're going to do <dhcp client name> <ethernet device>.
>
>All you need to do is compile a kernel with the following:
>    - support for your ethernet card
>    - support for Berkeley Packet filtering (bpf)
>    - reboot new kernel
>    - make new bpf devices in /dev (/dev/MAKEDEV bpf[0-x]).  I have 16
>      (0-15) bpf entries in /dev.  Your mileage may vary.
>    - run dhcp_client ethernet_device
>    - you should be all set!

Nate, thanks for the info but what else would I have to do?  I'm sure there
must be some sort of scripts to set up or something like that?  I'm just
surprised that it could be that easy.  I already rebuilt the kernel but I'm
tryint to do some tweaking of my ethernet driver.  I haven't got it set up
the way that I want it.  Once I get it set right, I'll download and install
the DHCP port.  Which one do you suggest?

Thanks for the help!

Joey Bear Garcia