Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 03:17:50 -0700
From:      Adam Weinberger <adam@vectors.cx>
To:        Mike <root@unixhideout.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking to learn the insides and outsides of /etc/periodic

check out:
	man periodic [periodic(1)]
	man periodic.conf [periodic.conf(5)]
	/etc/defaults/periodic.conf (put changes into /etc/periodic.conf)

in /etc/periodic/, each subdirectory is run on a different schedule.
within each dir, each file is executed (1) as long as it is executable,
and (2) in numerical order. so daily/100.clean-disks runs before
110.clean-tmps.

each file has a header that says what it does. from daily/340.uucp:
# Local cleanup of UUCP files.  This is for backwards compatibility,
# /etc/uuclean.daily doesn't exist by default.
#

only some of these files create output. and those that do either are
designed only to give you information, or they're just barfing on an
error. IOW, the same script usually doesn't check stuff AND print out a
summary of something.

look through them and see what files they access and how they work. each
program is just a shell script. if you can't decipher them, read the
sh(1) manpage. it's a worthwhile skill to have.

-Adam

--
"Oh good, my dog found the chainsaw."
        -Lilo, "Lilo & Stitch"