Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:05:09 +0100
From:      "Rob" <rob@robhulme.com>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Bandwidth usage monitoring...

I'm trying to setup a new FreeBSD web server at work - and I want to be able
to monitor the amount of bandwidth / data being used each month by different
clients / services.

It doesn't need to be majorly detailed, but I would need to be able to see:

1. How much data has been sent / received in total that month
2. How much was web traffic for each virtual domain
3. How much was sent / received in total that month broken down by port..

I think I can sort out 2 because I have analog installed, and I can wrap
some PHP around that to get a report for each domain, but if there is a
better solution that would be really useful.

The idea behind 1 is that our ISP charges us based on how much data we send
/ receive each month, but won't tell us how much we have used! They just
send us the bill!!! I'd like to have some idea myself...

Point 3 is because I'm thinking of offering a free email service for the
Christian Unions in the UK on our server, but if it was consuming >4GB /
month then it would start to affect the running cost of the server (which
would be bad)... at the moment I'm the only person with an email account on
there.

It would be ideal if I could record the amount of data sent / received per
user email account... but I don't know exactly how I'd do this (unless I
coded it somehow into the PHP webmail thing I'll be writing) - that would be
best because I could see if anyone was abusing the system, or limit the
amount of data people could send (or something).

Some advice on what software there is out there to do this would be really
good :0) I know of MTRG, but that just graphs bandwidth doesnt it?

Many thanks!
-Rob

--------------------------------
http://www.robhulme.com
http://www.christianunion.org.uk

Give a man a fish, he owes you one fish.
Let Oliver Emberton into the fishing industry, and fishing will no longer be
free.

Everything you've learned in school as "obvious" becomes less and less
obvious as you begin to study the universe.
For example, there are no solids in the universe.
There's not even a suggestion of a solid. There are no absolute continuums.
There are no surfaces. There are no straight lines.
---- R. Buckminster Fuller