Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:33:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kip Macy <kmacy@fsmware.com>
To:        Peter Ross <Peter.Ross@alumni.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iSCSI and clustering with FreeBSD

> I read about bigger projects in Germany running AFS successfully. I 've
> got a really enthusiastic mail from an administrator maintaining one of
> these sites.

AFS continues to be successfully deployed by many universities, CMU and
Stanford come to mind.

> But I read some rumours that AFS isn't running well on FreeBSD (gossip on
> the German FreeBSD mailing list). Is it true?

I've never worked with AFS. The closest I've come to it is knowing one of
the main developers.

> BTW: I wrote two weeks ago that I like to start writing an iSCSI
> initiator. I spent the last days reading documents and sources and
> installing my programming and test environment.
>
> So I didn't start writing yet but I'm on the way..

There is a fair amount to come up to speed with. A number of aspects of
the protocol don't make sense until you try implementing it.

			-Kip