Date:      Sat, 29 Mar 2008 00:19:45 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        sam@errno.com
Cc:        hopet@ics.muni.cz, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: support for Proxim Silver wifi card

In message: <47EBC345.8010600@errno.com>
            Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com> writes:
: Petr Holub wrote:
: >> broken with the PCCARD slot rather than the card. Can that be
: >> because it's dual PCMCIA/ExpressCard slot? Any hints for further
: >> debugging of the problem?
: >>
: >
: > I've just tried the following, if it is of any help:
: >
: > [root@kloboucek ~]# sysctl -a | fgrep -i cardbus
: > hw.cardbus.cis_debug: 0
: > hw.cardbus.debug: 0
: > dev.cbb.0.%desc: RF5C476 PCI-CardBus Bridge
: > dev.cardbus.%parent: pci
: > dev.cardbus.0.%desc: CardBus bus
: > dev.cardbus.0.%driver: cardbus
: > dev.cardbus.0.%parent: cbb0
: > [root@kloboucek ~]# sysctl -w hw.cardbus.cis_debug=1
: > hw.cardbus.cis_debug: 0 -> 1
: > [root@kloboucek ~]# sysctl -w hw.cardbus.debug=1
: > hw.cardbus.debug: 0 -> 1
: > [root@kloboucek ~]#
: > cardbus0: CIS pointer is 0x5001
: > cardbus0: CIS in BAR 0x10
: > cardbus0: Expecting link target, got 0x0
: > cardbus0: Warning: Bogus CIS ignored
: > ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xbfeb0000-0xbfebffff irq 16 at device 0.0 on
: > cardbus0
: > ath0: [ITHREAD]
: > ath0: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 13
: > device_attach: ath0 attach returned 6
: >
:
: I believe this is a cardbus issue.  As I've said before I have at least
: one bridge+card combo that doesn't work in HEAD because of an apparent
: regression in the cardbus code.  I'm not familiar enough w/ the cardbus
: code to suggest where to dig but if you boot another system on the same
: hard and the card is properly identified then you can sift register
: settings for a clue.

What does sysctl hw.cbb show?  The card clearly is powering up, but
we're not finding the CIS for some reason.  I don't think that's
fatal, and the fact that we attach the ath card means we have aren't
hitting the bus issue.  The fact that we see it means we're not
hitting the power issue.

Warner