Date:      Fri, 01 Feb 2002 18:17:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      "David A. Panariti" <panariti@mediaone.net>
To:        julian@elischer.org
Cc:        wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.5R and explicit broadcast routes

>>>>> "Julian" == Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> writes:

It's fixed.  mergemaster swapped these two lines in /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.ne.mediaone.net
::1			localhost localhost.ne.mediaone.net

::1			localhost localhost.ne.mediaone.net
127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.ne.mediaone.net

This apparently confused the tunnel binary.  An strace with a
``fixed'' /etc/hosts shows a connect to 127.0.0.1, which makes a lot
more sense.

Thanks for everything,

davep

Julian> ummmm by definition a tcp session cannot be to 255.255.255.255
Julian> what on EARTH is it trying to do?

Julian> On Fri, 1 Feb 2002, David A. Panariti wrote:

> [...]
Garrett> <<On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 12:51:34 -0500 (EST), "David
Garrett> A. Panariti" <panariti@mediaone.net> said:
> [...]
Garrett> It is utterly, 100% bogus.
>> That was my suspicion.

Garrett> The route is created automatically in order to speed up
Garrett> recognition of broadcast addresses on machines with many
Garrett> interfaces.

--
Mother told me to be good, but she's been wrong before.