Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:51:43 -0500
From:      "JJB" <Barbish3@adelphia.net>
To:        "Sjaak Nabuurs" <sjaak@vsm-hosting.nl>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: FreeBDS don't accept 4 networkcards

FBSD Friend
No problem about your English, I understand what
you are trying to do.
Your private Lan IP address ranges are correct,
each LAN circuit using an separate subnet.
So lets start with the most obvious first.

Check rc.conf to verify you do not have typing error
on ifconfig statement for each LAN Nic card to assign
it's IP address. FBSD does not syntax check rc.conf
statements, so you may have the statement there
but just typed incorrectly.

With that size private LAN you must be using DHCP,
so check the dhcpd.conf file that you have correctly
defined each separate LAN IP address range for each
of the 3 circuits.

Next check your IPFW rules that you allow each LAN NIC
interface free and un-molested by-directional access.
They should by just like what you are doing for lo0.

If all that checks out then it's time to boot from the
GENERIC.kernel to remove IPFW and see if it works.
IPFW is the most likely problem and testing without it
is the sure way to locate problem to single component.

If you still have problems post the complete content of
rc.conf, dhcpd.conf, and ipfw rule set.

Also descript how you test to verify one Nic card is not working.

I would like to say you should not be using 5.2 for production,
it's an dirty development release which uses an completely new file
system which has multiple reports of getting in an lockout condition
where the only solution is to reboot.

The software firewall ipfw FBSD 4.x and ipfw2 FBSD 5.x series have
an long time legacy problem when you use stateful rules and it's
divert/nated userland subroutine. It just does not work.

If you are using IPFW with out stateful rules you do not have the
MAX in firewall protection.

IPFILTER (IPF) has stateful rules which function as documented with
ipnat, it's NAT program.

There is an alternative solution, to IPFW dummynet traffic shaper
facility for controlling bandwidth usage. It's an stand-a-lone
software application called altq. See the following links for
details.

http://www.rofug.ro/projects/freebsd-altq/

http://www.csl.sony.co.jp/person/kjc/kjc/software.html#ALTQ

Good luck