Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 15:59:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org, audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new kldpath(8): display/modify the module search path

So my feeling on this thread is that right now, if the administrator wants
to specify that the kernel load from world readable directories, that's
fine by me.  I have some outstanding patches that begin to integrate MAC
integrity support into the module loading code, and require that any file
and directory tree used by kldload be marked as high integrity.  These
same limitations will also apply to userland processes running at high
integrity, so I think Mike's point about not checking for now is fine.
However, in writing this type of code, we want to be careful to not
exclude future security policies, just not write them in now.