Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 12:48:56 -0500
From:      "Richard Lucas" <rlucas@threeh.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   reverse proxy?

I am looking for something that I can setup to forward http and https
requests to other machines. Most of the requests would be forwarded to
internal machines although I do have one that would be forwarded to another
machine on the internet. What I would like to do is when that machine is
down I serve a local page that basically says it's down for upgrades. If I
can't get it to do that however it would be fine for it to serve the local
cache.

From my research it looks as if squid can do part of what I need but from
what I've read it can only forward requests to one server. I need something
that can forward requests to multiple servers depending on what is
requested. For example, if someone requested www.bleh.com it would forward
internally to 192.168.0.10 and www.blah.net would forward to 192.168.0.11. I
guess basically a reverse proxy that can do something like name based
virtual hosting.

Can this be done with apache? And if so could someone point me in the right
direction on how to set something like this up.

-Richard