Date:      Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:00:11 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@i-clue.de>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpd trouble on FBSD 4.4-RC

Hartmann, O. wrote:

>Hello.
>
>Well, every year again we have strange troubles with our relatively
>primitive set up printserver. Printserver is a FBSD 4.4-RC machine,
>buffering incoming printjobs from other hosts and sending it as a kind
>of gateway to e HP JetDirect 500X printserver.
>
>Sending a huge printjob (about 350 MB) seems to kill or disturb the
>lpd functions. All smaller jobs are to be printed the normal way.
>We use no limitations within /etc/printcap or by other quoting
>systems.
>A further phenomenon is that I cannot access the lpd via lpc on the
>printserver itself. lpq -a reports an error about a non accessible
>server, lpc reports that it also can not access the local lpd.
>>From remote hosts this seems to be all right, so I think there must
>be a misconfiguration or a kind of bug on the printserver itself.
>
>Does anyone has a tip, a hint?

Make sure the spool directory has enough room to hold the job.
Additionally, check if this job gets routed through any filters. If so,
make sure there is enough room for those jobs, too.

A quick test is constantly monitoring your diskspace closely while
submitting a really big job.

HTH
-Christoph Sold