Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 1999 21:33:20 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, John <jpapalia@voicenet.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8->3.2 woes

> You can go from 2.2.x to 3.1 release with a make world.  Then at 3.1
> do a make aout-to-elf.  Once you have a 3.1 elf system, you can then
> checkout -current and build.

Actaully, it will completely screw up in a variety of ways. :)

The canonical and approved method is to grab the 3.x sources onto
your 2.2.x box and do a "make upgrade", which does the aout-to-elf
stuff on your behalf.  A "world" is *not* required either before or
afterwards, the upgrade target will do all that it needs to do.

People should get into the habit of using "upgrade" rather than
world in this case anyway since we'll be using the upgrade target
in future releases to do god-only-knows what kind of specialized
upgrade nastiness. :)

- Jordan