Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 17:21:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
To:        str@giganda.komkon.org, udo.schweigert@siemens.com
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, str@giganda.komkon.org
Subject:   Re: mutt

> Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 20:08:11 +0200
> From: Udo Schweigert <udo.schweigert@siemens.com>
>
> On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 11:49:54 -0400, Igor Roshchin wrote:
>
> You haven't told us the OS-version you're talking about.

You probably missed that line:
(The system I am compiling this on is 4.3-RELEASE with security patches)

> > mutt-devel from the port collection also breaks during the compilation:
> > ===>   mutt-devel-1.5.1_2 depends on executable: automake14 - found
> > ===>   mutt-devel-1.5.1_2 depends on executable: autoconf213 - found
> > ===>   mutt-devel-1.5.1_2 depends on shared library: intl.4 - found
> > ===>  Patching for mutt-devel-1.5.1_2
> > ===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for mutt-devel-1.5.1_2
> > ===>   Ignoring patchfile /usr/ports/mail/mutt-devel/files/patch-01.orig
>
> This file does not belong to the port.                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well, sorry, that  file by itself is not a problem. I was
experimenting with the patch-files, trying to see what causes the problem
Just erase that line, and it's still the same error:

===>  Extracting for mutt-devel-1.5.1_2
>> Checksum OK for mutt/mutt-1.5.1i.tar.gz.
===>   mutt-devel-1.5.1_2 depends on executable: automake14 - found
===>   mutt-devel-1.5.1_2 depends on executable: autoconf213 - found
===>   mutt-devel-1.5.1_2 depends on shared library: intl.4 - found
===>  Patching for mutt-devel-1.5.1_2
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for mutt-devel-1.5.1_2
-e:No such file or directory
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/mutt-devel.
*** Error code 1

> > -e:No such file or directory
>
> This is a hint that something with USE_REINPLACE is wrong, which maybe is a
> hint that you should upgrade your system if you are tracking -current or
> -stable, since recent versions of these have the functionality builtin into
> the sed command, whereas older RELEASEs need sed_inplace.

So, what is the solution if the system upgrade is not possible at the moment ?

> > mutt-devel, from  the package mutt-devel-1.5.1_2.tbz segfaults
> > with the following error message:
> > Out of memory!
> > Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> >

> When does it fail? Installing the package? Or running mutt?

It's the mutt program when ran (after being installed from the package)
To avoid ambiguities: no, memory (or swap) is not a problem on the machine
in question.

> > Is this all due to some major incompatibility with an older OS version ,
> > or is it due to some major change in the ports subsystem ?
> >

> It seems: both (older non-release OS + newer ports tree)

It's a RELEASE OS.

The older version of mutt (that was in the original (RELEASE) ports
distribution ) is no longer available (the tar-ball is obviously absent).

Previously, the ports system had an upgrade package, so that
the newer ports can be used on the older RELEASE systems.
(That was in 2.x and 3.x)
It looks that that nice feature is dropped along the way,
at least, I see that ports don't work properly on a 4.3-RELEASE system,
and the latest upgrade port I see is for 4.2.

BTW, "make clean" doesn't work on the newer ports (at least some of those that
I tried) if tried on a 4.3-R system.
It seems to recursively span "make" processes, and stops somewhere
there until you kill the process.

Best,

Igor